Consider using this slideshow format in your posts...

Sunday, January 25

* * *

Ciaoooo!

It's been two weeks in Florence, but I feel as if I've seen, heard, felt, and experienced enough stimulus to last me an entire month - it's amazing. In trying to sum up everything so far, I feel like it's just a huge patchwork of sights, sounds, smells... from the hiccuping sirens echoing up through the narrow streets to the aroma of bus fumes intermingling with this sweet, heavenly pastry smell every morning as I stand waiting to cross the street by the Duomo.

One of the things that's really been fascinating me has been the relationship between this city and those who pass through it, specifically in relation to graffiti art. I know it's been said, but with its tremendous architecture, Florence really does give off this vibe of being in a living museum; its aching stone buildings have stood for years... have witnessed generations upon generations come and go... then, you have these gorgeous, old wooden doors and these stone facades dripping with tags - some of it artistic, some of it not so much. The question I've been wrestling with is whether or not it's an addition to the city or just a blemish. For me, it's almost a sign of life, of someone crying out amongst the anonymity of this place - reaching out to anyone that will listen, so to speak. It's a sign that the city is still living, breathing, pushing forward. But, is it purely ego, or something more? Is the relationship black and white? Is defacing really defacing?

Anyway, that's only a small facet of everything so far. For me, Florence is becoming a compilation of little moments, snapshots, and experiences that somehow come together into one, beautiful whole. Speaking of snapshots, here's a few: http://www.flickr.com/photos/euphemisms/

State bene!

Erin Mitchell