Consider using this slideshow format in your posts...

Monday, January 26

Siena

Allora, the past two weeks have been chock-full of sensory stimuli. I've started to feel comfortable with the bus system and plan on visiting Settignano as often as possible. I'm very conscious of how others view me, sticking out as a touristy American or blending into the crowd of Italians. So far, my only chance to be mistaken for a native is when I'm silent (and well-dressed). My goal is to one day pull off the charade while communicating verbally.

I've never lived in a city before. The tight streets and cramped spaces remind me that Europe has no wilderness, that Europeans have a very different way of interacting with their environment. Be it acute attentiveness to utility usage or meals on ice (very chill).

Thinking about the history of the city and how many revisions have been made is very interesting to me. Deciding to what era to restore the city relates to wilderness restoration in other parts of the world. Whatever stage of forest growth seems worthy enough be the be all end all ecosystem of a particular area is untrue to the perpetual flux of all natural systems. Some of the events in Florence's history are due to acts of nature, such as the 1966 flood, so in a way, Florence can be seen as an ecosystem in flux.

Photos