Consider using this slideshow format in your posts...

Sunday, January 25

Rachel Krislov e´ a Firenze!

Hey all! Rachel here, feeling a bit silly and as thought I'm writing in a diary. But I shall persevere!
The concept that I am now supposed to recount everything I've experienced since getting here is a little daunting. I've even been here a couple days longer than most of the rest of us! And while that is still only about 2.5 weeks, it really does feel like eons.
To start with beginning, I arrived with my wonderful aunt Reenie (or Maureen, if one must adhere to legal names) on the 9th (Friday). We spent most of the time together eating out, shopping, and just exploring. It was a great test for my italiano! I really enjoyed pushing myself to speak the language.
Next, I met up with Catherine and we both took a taxi to our new home on the opposite side of the river. The place definitely has a different feel than the touristy district-- it's less decorated, less grandiose, and more practical. Our family is amazing, consisting of four other women, and they patiently dealt with our italian illiteracy. We now converse much less awkwardly, partly out of increased fluency and partly out of feeling less alien in our surroundings. My growing speaking ability is really exciting for me!
The rush of orientation, I must admit, did not appeal to me, but I certainly do understand why it was necessary. The best parts did not really begin until after the adaptation stage was over.
Meanwhile, my fellow students and I ducked into mercati, art supply negozii (Zecchi!), and the ever-adored 1 euro store. It was becoming less difficult to walk from one location to the next, though I still lack the ability to find San Gallo Campus without a great deal of difficulty.
The beauty that is casually strewn around us here, like the Duomo and the numerous churches, doesn't awe me in the same step-pausing way it did when I first got here, and what really awes me now is our ability to take it all for granted. I am determined to fight this tendency.
And I haven't even gotten to Fiesole of the art fair in Bologna yet! Both were amazing experiences with so many entrancing images packed into one place that it was difficult to believe they could fit (though Fiesole will doubtless be more pleasant when Cat and I visit again minus the rain).
Everyone around me seems to have become fascinated with one or another aspect of Firenze, but I cannot truly say the same for myself. It is certainly beautiful, its age is awing, and its people are intriguing, but there's just too much for me to understand what inside the treasure chest might be most precious to me. I suppose I shall just have to wait and see.
I have so much more that I say, but for now I'll walk home along the river before it gets dark out. 
Ciao and see you next week!
[PS - my other photos here]