Consider using this slideshow format in your posts...

Sunday, April 5

Monica MC Becomes a Spectator

Though it doesn't have much to do with my project, I stumbled across an interesting sight this weekend. On my way across the river I saw a huge group of people gathering at the bridge, peering over the edge. A group of construction workers were propelling down the side onto the large beaver dams stuck against the supports of the bridge. A harnessed person would tie cables around the large tree trunks (some of them looked as big as trees themselves) then a group of men on the bridge would pull him back up. Then a crane would lift the log out of the water, everyone would scatter out of its way, and then the men would saw it into pieces.
After thinking about it a little more, my project addresses this kind of spectator-to-spectacle relationship. I took some photographs with my blue sculpture (nicknamed Phant) in which he was interacting with various sculptures, window displays, and passer-bys. Sometimes he was the spectator, and sometimes he was the spectacle. Even while I was setting him up and taking the photos, the curious passer-bys acted as a 3rd party spectator.
I also returned to La Specola this weekend, and I really fell in love with it all over again. My pictures this week include the drawings I've done there. Otherwise I'm busy working on a second sculpture and photographing it.

Photos here.
Until next week!