Consider using this slideshow format in your posts...

Sunday, February 8

felicopter: post numero tre.

Buona Sera!!!

While we were working in Studio 41 today, the lights disappeared! (oh noes!) So here I am, writing on my blog instead.

The concept I am working with is Wrapping. It’s something that has many aesthetic and conceptual possibilities, and while I am very interested, I didn’t have anything I was in love with. I began with the concept of having small packages like mementos, wrapped in packaging paper with photos of my experiences here in Florence as a representation of memories. But I was unsatisfied with this, as it felt that it was dealing too much with the internal, where the concentration is focused solely on the inside of the package. It isn’t really a bad thing, but I wasn’t sure if that was what I wanted to dwell on. Maybe it will be, but I am unsure. (Also, the guy at the photocopy place wasn’t super friendly.) Eventually, after many thoughts rolling around in my head, I figured I just had to start moving my hands and play before I found out what I really wanted to do. I find that generally, I have a tendency to want to have a game plan before I start anything, but then that makes me waste a lot of time being confused and pensive, when I should have just dove in and try something.

So here I am with this odd looking structure. There’s a frame with sporadic angles and shapes, carefully wrapped in fabric (which I cut from shirts that I bought for less than 2 euro each), and then with standard packaging paper, which I find so charming! There is a section of it that is open to the insides, where one finds that the package is actually filled with space. Like a balloon!! I’m working on a neat little rectangular package now, with a similar method, but I am going to cut part of the portion off to show the layers and cross sections. I’m not sure where this is taking me but I do know that I’ll be really amazing at wrapping presents. Oddly shaped presents.

I haven’t deserted any ideas yet, but I am still expanding. I expect that this first project of mine won’t be very cohesive or solid, but I guess that this whole thing is kind of like a continuous thought process. So we’ll see what happens.

Unrelated: We made Italian friends this weekend!!! they were kind of weirdos but at least I feel that my Italian is improving. Also, we found a cheap little Chinese food stand, which is really helping my budget. Also, had a really delicious smoothie. My hands are cold!!! And, I really want rameeeeeeeeeeeeeen. =( oh my god, I really want ramen.