Consider using this slideshow format in your posts...

Sunday, February 22

Welcome Back Alex

Ok so this week was a turning point. I finally just began producing art that engaged me fully and excited me. I'm really enjoying working around a theme and just experimenting with new ways of doing it. This week I tried out some original pattern-making from masterworks. I love just taking certain details from paintings or floors or ceilings and then changing the scale and repeating them, rotating them, weaving them taking. I'm really interested in 3-D design, but on clear plastic so that its really just the lines that create the form. I'm going to keep playing around and see what happens.
So this weekend we all went to Venice. It has to be the most exquisite place I've ever witnessed. We went to the Ca'Pesaro museum, which is this modern art museum on the Grande Canale. There was this exhibit on the top floor that was all japanese art. I was in awe. Usually, I overlook the oriental arts when I'm in museums, but this time I was really intrigued. I just couldn't stop staring at the fabric and how they created forms by shifting different patterns, colors, lines. It was so fascinating how at the same time they were flat and rendered. I think it might be interesting to create something like that with my own patterns and maybe do it of one of the architectural sites we've visited.
The tunnel book was a a surprise to me as well. I really enjoyed making them and I found a way to incorporate my patterns into the book. It was another way for me to take something that I'm already attracted to and already wanting to try. It's kind of like an in between 2-D and 3-D art. Anyway, I think I'm going to try it out on clear transparency paper and maybe even change the shape of the book itself. I was in complete awe of Matthew Ritchie's work when I saw the art 21 video. It was everything I had been hearing/wanting to do on such a large such. AMAZING!! I think I may try blowing some of what I've been making on a really large scale on either white paper or fabric.

P.S. Fabulous show Friday night Jana!!!! Mozal Tov!


Pictures:
Pictures: