Consider using this slideshow format in your posts...

Sunday, February 15

Maramac's fourth week.

After staring at this screen for an hour, making silent supplications to Flickr's upload process, I finally have my album up. Per usual, a large fraction of it observes the graffiti I've encountered along my most frequented routes in Florence, which funnily enough is usually written in English. I've lately been trying to sort out a suitable direction for my art in theme sequence, which proved quite difficult since the conceptual is not my forte...It's like trying to pick a needle out of a haystack when you're not quite sure what a needle looks like. I've managed to corral several areas of interest—the first, a probably obvious (but only recently identified) attraction to gesture and movement. 

I think I'm also more attracted to the people of Florence, rather than the city as an object in itself. Even my fascination with the classical sculpture here is largely due to the artist's beautiful treatment of the human form, how it's been arranged and presented. When exploring old buildings or streets, I think of the people that must have walked the same routes hundreds of years ago. And the graffiti, well somebody must have painted it. But why "skadangepunk...klak?" (actual word was about ten times longer and included "sex," "yoga," and "reggae"). Why does that dude at the apple store always look so pissed? I also felt a personal connection to that guy that kicked at a pidgeon as he walked past me (kindred spirit, he probably got shat on at one point too).

Hopefully meeting with Jana this coming week will further crystallize my interests, and somewhat bolster my iffy grasp on the world of conceptual art.