Consider using this slideshow format in your posts...

Sunday, February 15

// Laura Javier // 04

Reductio ad absurdum, Latin for "reduction to the absurd", is a rhetorical strategy in which one disproves a claim by adopting it and and carrying it out to an absurd outcome; the conclusion is that the original claim must have been wrong because it led to an absurd result. In common speech, reductio ad absurdum refers to anything pushed to absurd extremes.

I'd like to make a short, loosely narrative film entitled Reductio ad absurdum with the overarching theme that time reduces human existence to absurdity because all life ends in death. The title could also be interpreted, however, not only as an assessment of the absurdity of life, but also as a self-referential judgment on the film content itself.

I'm still working with the concepts of futility, circularity, repetition, and I'm reincorporating and hopefully poetically integrating my previous ideas regarding shoes, ships, and the afterlife. The paper ships from the last session will ultimately be used as prop devices.
"Of shoes, and ships, and sealing wax, cabbages, and kings. And why the sea is boiling hot, and whether pigs have wings."
-- Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
I have everything scripted; the voice-over narration is text taken (or as Jana says, appropriated -- the white-collar word for stolen) from various literary sources that I've spliced together so that they read as a kind of internal dialogue that complements and expatiates upon the on-screen visuals. (...Sorry, but expatiate is such a killer cool word!! To move or wander about intellectually, imaginatively, etc., without restraint.)

I'm a little worried that I've bitten off a bit more than I can chew at the moment. The concepts and script are admittedly weighty, so I realize the exacting precision required in composing and executing each shot. I'm also in limbo regarding equipment; I absolutely need a tripod (I don't see the old washer-and-string trick working here), and ideally need a digital camcorder for a lot of the macro shots... although I can conceivably see ways of working with series of stills in lieu of video. But time, (ironically... or appropriately?) is probably going to be the limiting factor here. I'd estimate the finished film lasting anywhere from 10-15 min in its entirety... I've made a 10 min film in the past, and it was nightmarishly long in the editing. It's not that I'm not up for the challenge -- I think the end product could be very beautiful. I'm just worried that I won't have time to do it right.

Sidenotes  I picked up a book at the antique market that looks like it was part of a children's encylopedia series entitled or maybe published by I QUINDICI with the words "Volume 7: La vita intorno a noi" on the spine and "I libri del come e del perché" on the cover. What claims! And the tiger gave me Life of Pi vibes.
"No . . . I don't know what purpose this pebble serves, but it must serve some purpose. Because if it is useless, then everything is useless . . . even the stars. At least that's what I think."
-- The Fool, La Strada
To which the corollary is: if one thing matters, everything matters.

--- - - - - - flickr - - - - - ---
--- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ---