Consider using this slideshow format in your posts...

Saturday, February 28

Leah's week six

On Thursday I talked to Regan, and she was suggesting a variety of directions I could go for Theme Sequence. I loved her suggestions, particularly honoring saints by doing simple actions and photographing me doing those things. For example, honoring St. Francis by feeding pigeons near Santa Croce. Such a simple thing, but really beautiful. I researched saints for hours this past weekend-- Anna and I, I think, were the only people who didn't go somewhere for Carnival. I love learning about the saints, and retelling their stories too. They are so weird and wonderful and inspirational. However, many saints we don't know very much about, we only have records that they were martyrs, and maybe how they died. Because it's not so simple to, cut off my breasts, lets say, to honor St. Agatha, I was kind of having trouble thinking of ways that I could still do this project. I definitely haven't given up on it, but I just need more time to think about it.

I also have been trying to capture the beauty in everyday things that people might not notice. I love the action of taking a photo of something that isn't grand, because it makes people look at whatever I am photographing in a different way. Sometimes they will pause and look, even whip out their own camera and take the picture.

Several of the photos in my folder this week are of simple things like that. Particularly different lights.

I'm still collecting bits of silver, gold and champagne colored foil I find on the ground, but I now have become a connoisseur of this, and almost exclusively pick up the foil from cigarette packages.

I have noticed that I'm a collector. I suppose I knew this to some extent before, but I make collections without even being conscious of it. I've started collecting the teabags that I use, and hanging them up. I also save the little packages they come in, and I'm writing love notes to my mother and putting them in each one, each time I use a teabag.

I've also notice that I love repetition. I always have butter and plum jam on my bread in the morning. I will listen to the same music artist for days in a row (currently Kina Grannis--songza.com helps support this addiction). Maybe this love of repetition helps make me a good Catholic. :)

I think I'll end with that, because I have so many photos this week. Sorry. You can flip through them really fast, I don't mind.

ps. I'm still obsessed with oranges.