Consider using this slideshow format in your posts...

Sunday, February 8

// Laura Javier // 03

A veritable insalata of ideas...
  • Identified in my ten-image collection by a peer during the indispensible "trading" exercise: circles, journeys, repetition, hollowness.
  • Construction of a paper boat (R.I.P.) that was promptly and unceremoniously subjected to a Florentian downpour for a two-minute film clip. Another idea: futility.
  • And then Stoppard again: ROS: I shall remain on board. That'll put a spoke in their wheel. (The futility of it, fury.) GUIL: Where we went wrong was getting on a boat. We can move, of course, change direction, rattle about, but our movement is contained within a larger one that carries us along as inexorably as the wind and current...
  • And then a poem excerpt: I sailed away in a paper ship, / Away on an unknown sea; / And all the fishes were hollow, my dear, / And all of them swam at me.
(Uffa, this all sounds much more depressing than I intended!)

Annnnnyway, there are ideas here that I like and that (I think) connect in some way, but patching everything together is baffling process. I'm trying to incorporate, in short: tangibly - ships, intangibly - literature's limited utility. At this point, I'm starting very basically by making something that I like -- testing the waters, so to speak -- regardless of how obscenely simplistic it all turns out. (I'd also like to acknowledge this guilty nagging thought that all of these ideas stand rather independently of my experiences here in Florence... and the question of whether I should be drawing more "inspiration" from the local environment.)

More photos on flickr forthcoming once I get my files off a friend's camera.

--- - - - - - flickr - - - - - ---
--- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ---