Consider using this slideshow format in your posts...

Sunday, February 22

a felicitous weekend in venezia- the fifth one

Over the weekend, I ate an apple in its entirety, Jorie-style, everything from the skin to the core, except for the stem. Afterwards, I decided that this was obscure but bizarre enough to blog about. So yeah, I ate an apple this weekend.

I guess I did other things too. Like many of my colleagues, I went to Venezia to see the famed Carnavale, which was, needless to say, incredible. Incredible in the way that it cannot be believed. The costumes, the city, the energy... how someone can throw a fistful of confetti in my face and get away with it (joke). But really, it was amazing. A feast for the senses.

As my weekend consisted mainly of walking aimlessly through the Venetian geography, I did not get very much done with my projects. However, with the long train ride, as we sped by the serene Tuscan countryside, telephone lines whipping past like written scribbles, there was much time to contemplatively meditate upon my project. While I did not originally intend to, I will be combining my theme-sequence and my drawing projects together. The Doors of Paradise is my masterwork, and I will be photocopy-transferring the images onto an *almost* life-size piece of fabric, which I will then draw over and wrap myself, in some shape, way, or form, which I will have to decide on, I am keeping the exploration I've been doing in Jana's class in my mind, dealing with themes of emptiness and this external skin that we can wrap around and transform, s well as an inquiry of the nature of wrapping as an act of hiding, protection, or trapping. This piece will be more personal than the little experiments I've been doing in the last two weeks (reference: the package. Yup. That was it. Just that brown little thing), and I would like it to reflect my own state of being, looking out from the inside, somehow separated or removed. 

I've also been thinking about the Baptistery doors themselves and how they relate to me (=mind-mapping!!) I thought about how doors usually represent some sort of portal, a connection between two stages, an entry into grown, a transition. Also the doors were so revolutionary with the development of the one-point perspective, and marked the beginning of the Renaissance. I feel that I am also at a door of sorts, at a point of transition, slowly growing up and becoming a real, functioning person... or something like that.

Si!