Consider using this slideshow format in your posts...

Sunday, February 1

HG's Post #2:

During Theme Sequence last Tuesday I was having some trouble thinking clearly and coming up with a variety of connections to my object—a teddy bear. However, one idea that was sparked during the mind map brainstorming and fleshed out over my weekend trip to Brussels was my fascination with the relationship of the natural and man-made. The interaction of the two and their dependence on one another was especially present in the landscape of Brussels. The plants and patterns in Brussels seemed to intertwine beautifully and sometimes unexpectedly. What interests me is the sentimental value people place on objects (man-made, or natural) whether it be as a result of childhood memories, religious beliefs, family lineage, or other people in our lives. The attachment and dependence on objects or other people for a sense of security or comfort is a very intricate and personal subject. For me my bear is only one of many sentimental objects present in my life, and the mind map encouraged me to think about what those things are and why they mean so much to me. In making the Xerox copies of my bears into other things, I often found myself constructing things in nature like flowers, shells, and other animals. It is something to note that the form and texture of such a manufactured object can be manipulated to resemble nature.

Another thought about sentimental attachment: The flea market in Brussels was filled with random, beautiful objects that were probably once sentimental to someone at one time, and I couldn’t help but find myself interested in where these objects came from or what they had been used for before they ended up for sale. There were all types of vintage jewelry, tea sets, decorative spoons, old photographs, chandeliers, broken clocks, clothes, and glass (to name a few things) that filled me with questions of their sentimental value. Although no one shopping at this flea market had any direct association with these specific objects, people were still drawn to them in search for something meaningful (maybe not everyone was thinking that deep). I ultimately did not buy anything because I couldn’t find that attachment or sentimental value. On the other hand, it did make me think about gaining and letting go of sentimental objects. It also proved a challenge for me in photography because I really tried to capture interactions among people as they searched the market. It is a little daunting to get right up close to someone to take their picture, especially with my manual camera that takes me 9 million years to focus and adjust. I got a little braver in my documentation this week when it comes to capturing people. I just pretended to take pictures of something else, or I just took it and left...fast.

I also found myself this weekend really trying to record patterns I saw on buildings, doors, fences, railings, flyers, ceilings. I am really drawn to the use of pattern and color. So many different designs are visible while just taking a stroll along the streets in Florence. I like going on walks to see where I end up and what I might find. A lot of my documentation I have taken on my manual camera for photography class, but I tried to vary my use of both.
ciao!
Holly Graham
All week 2 pics