Consider using this slideshow format in your posts...

Sunday, February 8

holly g's #3 post

To begin, a clip from a song that has been stuck in my head for days, yet ironically embodies how I’ve been feeling lately:
“Don’t stop me know! I’m havin’ such a good time,
I’m having a ball. Don't stop me now
If you wanna have a good time just give me a call
Don't stop me now ('Cause I'm having a good time)
Don't stop me now (Yes I'm having a good time)
I don't want to stop at all”
After class last Tuesday I was both excited and anxious. Picking out the ten images from my pile and writing about them really helped me to let loose and look at my images in a more objective way. It helped me to see the images in terms of their qualities instead of the content. I still realize that I am drawn to pattern, line, and color, but I also found that the style I had been working in was very fluid despite the ornate qualities of many images. I had fun making the newspaper sculpture, but it was a little harder when it came to the video. I filmed a bunch of trash, thinking about both the qualities of my image and the concept I had been interested in before which was sentimentality. I was thinking that some people’s trash could be others’ treasure. Different comparisons started running through my mind like, rough vs. refined, old vs. new, trash vs. treasure, fluid vs. structured. So with all of these ideas in my mind, I decided to try and take the process started in class one step further and combine everything into a painting! Painting has always been my passion. I LOVE it. I really like the vibrant colors that oil paints provide, and I have not worked with oils in a while, nor have I been able to paint much lately. Thus, I bought some oil paints. This one painting from the Bologna art fair (I do not know the name) stood out in my mind—an oil painting that was made of many layers, some scraped away to see what was underneath. I decided to play off this style and paint on cardboard.
Aside from my project, I found my new favorite place in Florence: Boboli gardens. When I went back to draw at Palazzo Pitti for Regan’s class, it was such a gorgeous afternoon to explore. As I’ve said before, I enjoy being surrounded by nature, and to see art incorporated into the gardens was even better. The weathered green walls of this one building in the gardens were fascinating to me because they looked like a painting. I liked the idea of beauty wearing away but turning into something new and different. I plan to go back there to take pictures for my photography class. Speaking of which, I printed my first photo on Thursday! It took me several tries to get it right, but I feel like that is a lot of what this semester is about—trying something new, even if it means having to do it again or perhaps, failure. I’m trying to be open and experiment with new ways of making and seeing things.
Here are some of this week's pictures.

holly