Consider using this slideshow format in your posts...

Sunday, February 8

Jennifer discovers the secret bakery

Yesterday I was wandering around the Santa Croce area trying to figure out what I was going to write about this week for the blog, then I stumbled upon the Antique market.  I was originally looking for this old door I had seen out on the street a week or so ago when I got lost taking the wrong bus, because I wanted to use it for our first "work" in Jana's themesequence class, but alas I couldn't remember where I was when I found it.  It wasn't until I was in the middle of the clutter of old tin cans, antique furniture, piles of old photographs, etc. that I realized where I was.  It turns out this little market was right up my alley.  I could have easily spent several hours reading old letters and looking at photographs.  I came across this little tin of old calligraphy nibs and was fascinated by the detail!  I didn't know that eiffel tower nibs existed.  Even the roof had an awesome pattern from the years of weathering.  It was while looking at this roof that I realized what it is that attracts me to the idea of decay.  I love the patterns and colors they create, and how they spark my interest into the history of each mark.  I realized that I was making alot of textural drawings with Regan's short mark-making assignments.  I hoped I would find some old piece of furniture to use for my project there, but they were all pretty expensive, so maybe I'll just have better luck looking for something on the streets.  Actually, there is this really rusty old bike outside our apartment that I'm pretty sure hasn't been in use for years...so maybe I'll secretly wheel that down to the studio.
On another "secret" note, last night several of us discovered the "secret bakery".  We met a group of people our age who have been studying here since last semester, therefore they know more about special places that you only discover through the grape vine.  So there we were at 3 in the morning wandering through Florence in search of these freshly baked pastries.  These bakers make all of their pastries early early early in the morning in preparation for the next day, and those informed individuals can sneak in to grab, for example, a fresh chocolate pudding filled croissant for 40 cents.  Best discovery everrrrrrr!   Sadly, I don't remember where it is, but hopefully we'll revisit soon.