Consider using this slideshow format in your posts...

Sunday, March 22

Alex's Fifth Post

So this week, I've been really engaged in creating marks with all of the random materials we brought with us to the Boboli gardens. I just decided that I would be really loose with my mark-making, and not try to capture what I was drawing exactly, but get the feel of it. I would sit in one spot for hours and draw the same sculpture 5 or 6 times with various techniques, seeing what worked the best and what didn't. After my time spent in the gardens, I went back to studio just exploring more ways of creating marks with water, ink, charcoal and other natural materials. I think I'm going to try to layer some of the grounds that I created or take shapes from some of my drawings and make patterns from them. I seem to always go back to design, but I don't see why I can't merge my frenzy of mark-making with my more controlled creation of pattern. 
Yesterday I spent hours just seeing what taking the lighter to the paper would create. It ended up making these random, amoeba-like shapes that would make a great stencil or easily transferable to illustrator for further manipulation. I loved the way I could create neutral tones with how long I held the lighter, or how I could direct the way the flame burned by charring the paper first in certain areas.
I finished one more 3-D design project with my plastic horse-leg cutouts and then I decided that it would lose the desired effect if I made it large, so I just sewed the rest together and let it be.
Oh and a lot of the pictures I put up are of new grounds/found drawings I discovered that maybe I'll use later.