Consider using this slideshow format in your posts...

Saturday, March 28

Leah's week nine

Life is flashing before my eyes. And before I know it, I'll probably be wondering what I'm going to do after I graduate. Oh wait. I'm already wondering that.

Anyway, whoever revamped the design on the blog, it looks very slick. Mi piace.

///

I changed the background of my pomegranate painting yet again, after talking with John, and I think it does look much better as an ambiguous dark brown color. I'm now working with trying to dye fabric with natural dyes to sew a quilt (possibly a star quilt--something with a radial pattern, like the lovely radial bursts that kiwis and oranges have). I had fun experimenting with that today.

I am also thinking about the drawing assignment, and I had an idea about "habits." I've been collecting tea bags and the little envelopes they come in, cigarette papers from the streets, my best friend is entering the convent (and thus will be wearing a habit) and then at La Speccola, I was pretty nuts about everything, but I've always loved hares, and would love to draw some rabbits to add to the habits.

Not wanting to get stuck on an idea right away, I want to keep brain storming. Another one of my ideas is to make bees wax candles of saints. I have an image in my head of possibly 144 little lit saint candles. I think they would look beautiful all together and smell lovely, and although it might be a bit "creepy" when they were melting, it's quite theologically sound, which I like, and I should always consider, at least. I don't want to make art that goes against my faith. That would just be stupid. I haven't fully read "Julian Schnable Paints a Portrait of God" yet, but I have a feeling that Julian and I see things very differently in terms of art and religion.


PS. I truly felt like I was exactly where I was supposed to be when I was at La Speccola. It's my childhood fantasy come true.

Photos