Consider using this slideshow format in your posts...

Sunday, March 22

All our knowledge has its origins in our perceptions.- Da Vinci

I am trying to continue with the theme of race and identity in this second half of the semester but I am stuck on what it is I am trying to say. Going to the anthropology museum, I became extremely aware of the line between the viewer and the viewed. The idea of self and other and how that applied to race. How our perception of everything is shaped by the white dominated perspective. Half of me feels like what I am trying to do is the work of an anthropologist. I am an outsider trying to understand a culture. While the other half feels like everything I understand about myself is a result of what that culture has told me I am.
(So much art work and writing has been done on the subjects of race and identity, that sifting through them has just made me more confused. )
To try and get something done I looked back on some magazine clippings that I thought were pretty and realized I had a lot of images of people(mostly white) starring out directly at the viewer. I have been playing with a manipulating these images to play of this relationship of who is the viewer and the idea of the white gaze.

pictures more to come when flickr stops being so slow