Consider using this slideshow format in your posts...

Sunday, March 22

Vivian Jauregui - disney always makes it look so easy; its not.

So, I originally wanted to continue the story I had begun in midterm by means of creating a Disney-esque ride. I would take on the person of an Imagineer, and present a proposal for the ride with a model and sketches, and whatever have you. I spent a good amount of time researching this and planning out the narrative of the ride, but I decided last night after much anguish that I didn't think that the whole ride idea was going to work, because the narrative becomes twice removed (once in that I can't make my audience ride the actual ride, and twice because it falls under the second facade of a proposal).

Stressing out, I called my dad and he mentioned the interactive books we used to read. You know, the choose your own adventure kind. In those books you read and introduction and then make decisions for the protagonist that develop the plot. The "choosing sides" theme created by this kind of interactive reading really works with the theme of divorce, and so I decided to make an interactive video. The video needs to be created on Flash and exported on QuickTime. I've read a tutorial or two on how to do this, and it seems do-able, the only catch is I don't have Flash; I did download a 30 day trial however. I want to save installing it for a bit in order to ensure that I'll be able to use it during crunch time, the last few days before crit. If that doesn't work I have a few other options at hand to create the video, but if all else fails I'll just create an illustrated book, just like my original inspiration (that's the ultimate back fall - don't want to go there).

I want the theme to be the middle ages; (lords, ladies, serfs..) and make this for a pre-teen audience; So far, I've been working on the illustrated versions of my family members; a task that is way harder than I thought; it's taking a while to get them right. The plan is to get the characters right; and then draw specific scenes that would be the visual component of the narrated story for the different chapters. I've been studying Disney films to figure out expression; but am having difficulty with the adult characters (how to render them as older simplistically).

photos

- Viv