Consider using this slideshow format in your posts...

Sunday, March 22

Dopo SB>>HG

So its been pretty busy getting back from Spring Break. I have been thinking about where I want to go with my next pieces and I am really still in experimentation mode. I started out on Tuesday with a painting in effort to evoke a calm feeling. I used a color palette relating to the sea I saw in Greece over spring break. Water in general fascinates me, and on the boat I just sat on the deck watching the waves for I don’t know how long trying to follow one wave. But they all merge together and it is impossible to hold onto one for very long. The fluidity of the waves really mesmerized me. After this thought, I actually went back to the idea of performance over the weekend, but not live performance-more like filmed performance. I have an 8 min film of one event this weekend that was very Calming and Relaxing—to go with the painting, and another that is more passionate, that I may also create a painting about.

But I also remembered how music changes the mood of a film drastically. I played around on Garage Band and ended up making a short beat. I really want to try and continue this and maybe use it as a soundtrack for a larger film or music video of sorts. Or, I was thinking it might be cool to project the film onto my painting (it would be better if my painting was bigger though). But I couldn’t get the projector to work, but hopefully someone can help me with that!...oh technology.

I realized that although I am taking a different turn after midterm, I still do have similar tendencies. I have realized that I like taking single, personal moments and putting them on display for others to see. I like to make people look at these brief, habitual moments in time to realize how beautiful, funny, mundane, crazy, or strange they are when singled out. I feel like when a single moment is recorded in time it makes people pay more attention to it and try to identify with it more. This may also be why I like photography! I love catching people in their every day routine, which is a really hard. I may just have to get a little creepier to catch more of these instances on video or in photos!
I’m excited to keep working because I feel like I’m doing things I really want to do.
Ta ta for now!
Here are some pics!
-holly g