Consider using this slideshow format in your posts...

Monday, March 23

The Maramac is Back

Back at it after a simultaneously restful and exhausting week. Activities ranged from trying out my new watercolor set on the Napolitan sunset, to getting my ass stuck in an aqueduct in Pompeii, to getting soccered out of this world by an FC Barcelona vs. Lyonn (Champions League) match. Suffice to say, the last activity ended up replacing a probably less costly shopping spree down Las Ramblas.

As I return to a considerably more touristy Florence, it's nice to think about art without midterms breathing down my neck. This time, producing a work in a week's time for theme sequence is considerably less terrifying than it would have been in January. Even with a slightly different approach and subject matter, it's become easier to ignore the art police running around in my head--just like I've learned to ignore the guys that catcall you as you're walking down the street. Sometimes they actually are asking for directions, and sometimes that art idea I have is genuinely stupid, but never hurts to keep walking.

To wrap it up, I'm hoping to turn this semester's focus more on my impending decision between art and medicine. Since I'm dual-degree in the Art and Artsci schools, I'll be spending five years at WashU to pin down both schools' requirements. With an artsci major in Biology and on the premed track, I've got two quite different interests to reconcile. After the comments I've received during crit--that my "disparate" interests of fantasy art, soccer, medieval calligraphy, and science, to name a few--I want to address what seemed irreconcilable. I'm interested in literature about anatomy for both artists and doctors, as a starting point, the simple shared ground we have with eachother. For this week's work, I'm taking a Mucha painting of a young girl and photocopying it on a magnified scale, then taping the A4 photocopy paper together to form one large image. From there, I've sketched out her muscular system and intend to create a cut out (perhaps playing with the cut-out pieces later as well).

So much for now, here are some pictures from spring break and beyond.