Consider using this slideshow format in your posts...

Tuesday, March 31

La Specola--Anna's weekend

This weekend among other things, I went drawing at La Specola. Having taken anatomy last semester, the wax models of the people fascinated me! Here are all the things I couldn't understand in the book shown in 3d form! I ended up drawing a face and an eyeball, and I started thinking about the reading we were given, the one about Mr. Wilson's museum. I kept looking at this model of a head with all the muscles of the face and thinking 'okay, these muscles are what contract when you're happy, these muscles furrow your brow, maybe for confusion..." and so on. It would be really interesting to me to do an over-the-top diagram of very specific emotions, trying to pinpoint exactly what muscles work together to make our facial expressions. It just seems so interesting that the way we communicate with other people, through facial gestures, is controlled by whether the muscle cells in our faces kick out or invite in sodium or potassium ions. Sure, this is an oversimplification, but it just seems so strange to me the idea that something can be broken down that way. If I did a work like this, it would be with the irony (or lack thereof) of Mr. Wilson: "Sure guys, this is all there is to it! These (x number of) muscles are what make you smile!