Consider using this slideshow format in your posts...

Sunday, March 22

Monfoo Slices Open a Cultural Icon

Ok, sorry for the really dramatic title but I couldn't resist.

Over spring break I was really inspired by the aesthetic of Napoli in particular - the way that the entire city seemed to have been scraped from the bottom of a garbage can and viciously splattered onto any and every receptive surface, yet was as gorgeous as anything I've experienced while abroad in it's unique grit and violent honesty.  As much as I've come to enjoy museums, Danny and I got sidetracked from visiting Napoli's Archeology Museum in order to explore further the side streets of the city, and I'm really glad that we did; our little escapades proved valuable in really dissecting Napoli's urban aesthetic.  Walls, doors, vespas, all etched with tales of graffiti; and these elaborate murals birthed from spray cans were scarred themselves by the works of smaller stencils, secretive and nearly invisible at first glance, but once Danny and I stepped closer we could see everything.  Phallic symbols, commentary on HIV, chewed gum, and things said about your mother were all revealed.  It was graphic.  But so honest in it's exposure and so beautiful in its layering.  So from Napoli comes my desire blur the line between beautiful and disgusting and to make clear that this line is oftentimes quite thin to begin with. 

So.  Continuing on from midterms, I've launched off of what Jana said about cutting open Miss Piggy and seeing what is inside of her.  My immediate thought was glitter on bacon, but this has subtly evolved (due to preservative purposes) into glitter on cured prosciutto sewed together piece by piece into larger sheets that I will then accent with ink and manipulate to become other forms.  What those forms are, I have no clue.  But the idea is to make Miss Piggy into lunch meat, basically, and then make it look cool but in an unexpected way.  I also want to capitalize on the idea of juxtaposing two things that are quite different, that shouldn't be together but are, and that form something glorious when meshed together.  Kind of like an affair or something.  So - Miss Piggy, deli meat, and forbidden love.  The samples I've created thus far are beautiful (in my twisted opinion).  

And pictures are hopefully coming later on this week - I'm having my usual issues!

Monica